Last updated by
In order to keep the public safe. The National Weather Service has rolled out a new type of weather alert called “Snow Squall Warnings.” They will be issued during snow squall situations.
First, we should take a look at what a snow squall is. The NWS says “Snow squalls, often associated with strong cold fronts, are a key wintertime weather hazard. They move in and out quickly, and typically last less than an hour. The sudden white-out conditions combined with falling temperatures produces icy roads in just a few minutes. Squalls can occur where there is no large-scale winter storm in progress and might only produce minor accumulations. Snow squalls can cause localized extreme impacts to the traveling public and to commerce for brief periods of time. Unfortunately, there is a long history of deadly traffic accidents associated with snow squalls. Although snow accumulations are typically an inch or less, the added combination of gusty winds, falling temperatures and quick reductions in visibility can cause extremely dangerous conditions for motorists.”
What to do during snow squalls? The NWS recommends delaying your travel if you are not on the roads yet. If you are on the roads, slow down, turn on your headlights, and hazard lights. Keep a lot of distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Try not to slam on your breaks because roads may be slick as well. The NWS also says “There is no safe place on the highway when snow squalls are approaching.”
Latest Stories From The Blog
- A flood advisory has been issued for Clinton County in Ohio (Weather Bulletin at 8 PM 6/19/19)The National Weather Service in Wilmington, OH has issued a flood advisory. This flood advisory … Read More
- A flash flood warning has been issued for Warren County in Ohio (Weather Bulletin at 7:26 PM 6/19/19)The National Weather Service in Wilmington, OH has issued a flash flood warning. This flash … Read More
- Rain and thunderstorms will continue tonight. Here is tonight’s forecast for Wednesday, June 19, 2019Wednesday, June 19, 2019: Showers and Thunderstorms | Winds: Light and Variable to Calm | … Read More
- A flood advisory has been issued for Butler and Warren counties in Ohio (Weather bulleting at 6:33 PM 6/19/19)The National Weather Service in Wilmington, OH has issued a flood advisory. This flood advisory … Read More
- A flash flood warning has been issued for Logan County in Ohio (Weather Bulletin at 5:51 PM 6/19/19)The National Weather Service in Wilmington, OH has issued a flash flood warning. This flash … Read More
Get forecasts and weather updates delivered straight to your inbox!
I hope you are enjoying the content! I’m getting ready to attend The Ohio State University in the fall! So content is updated and uploaded when I can work on the blog.
Tracking weather for the Greater Dayton area and surrounding communities.